Bull Semen Sampling
The practice is now providing an on-farm semen sampling and analysis service. This visit also includes a full health check of the bull. Knowing the fertility status of a bull is vital before selling or buying a bull. It is also important to know that a farmer’s own bull is fertile before letting him out at the start of the breeding season. Contact the office for bookings. A full veterinary certificate is issued for each bull tested.
Planning for the Calving Season Ahead
Get ready, the calving season has started. Make sure you have a few essentials on hand.
- Good quality clean calving ropes
- Long arm calving gloves and lubricant gel
- Iodine spray for the navels
- Clean buckets, in case you need the vet
- Colostrum or Colostrum replacements
- Vaccines….have you vaccinated your cows against scour
- Electrolyte replacements…always have a few on hand
Spring Calving and Lambing
Spring calving cows should be receiving pre-calving minerals and scour prevention vaccines. Scour vaccines need to be given 3 weeks to 3 months before calving, so make sure your cows and calves are covered. Colostrum is a vital source of antibodies for the newborn calf or lamb. Newborn calves need 2 to 3 litres of colostrum in the first 2 hours of life and up to a total of 6 litres in the first 24 hours. This gets their new immune systems off to a great start.